Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Market Day!!

Jake:

             Today was Tuesday, the bigger of the two market days here in Sansepolcro. After waking up at 7:45 for a cold bowl of oat flakes, I headed off to Italian class to learn about numbers, days, and addresses. We got our first sheet of homework today, a fill-in-the-blank about telephones and small talk. Shortly after class, my parents and I headed off to the market. There were shops all up and down the main road, all along the square, and the smell of shoes and fish wafting over it all. I was even convinced to try on a pair of shoes by one of the shopkeepers, but politely said "No, grazie" as soon as my foot hit the rock-hard sole of the shoe. I then wandered off towards the end of the main road, scanning the stalls for a warm pair of gloves and trying to dodge 11:00 Italian foot traffic. At the end of the road, I discovered a nice view of the mountains surrounding the town and the source of the fish. Turning around, I headed back to the palazzo and settled down. Today I also attempted to start a college level game of Cantine e Draghi, or CeD for short (the Italian version of Dungeons and Dragons, which is exactly the same apart from the name). I got one character completely filled out and a few faint promises to do more soon. All in all, it was a nice day with another fantastic lunch. To quote my mom: "Am I not allowed to say this is the best meal I've ever had - every day?"

Pics:








7 comments:

  1. Good entry, Jake.

    Question: Is Dungeons & Dragons equally dorky in Italian? Does its dorkiness transcend all national and ethnic barriers, or is it made somehow cooler by being in Italian?

    I tease. I know nothing about it. At all. I've never played.

    You know, because it's so dorky and all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't see this. It was automatically sent to 'spam' for some reason! I hope that doesn't happen next time. To answer your question (to the best of my abilities), I have no idea. :) I only found the pdf online for a short game that was free (in english). Probably though! I've really come to love the game through the past few months, and I was just really hoping we could play it here in Italy. I was really glad that the students expressed any interest at all in the game, and I'll let you know if it gets underway. Thanks for the message!

      -Jake
      P.S. it's probably still cooler in italian.

      Delete
  2. Hey Jake, we have a regular Friday night D&D family night here. Hit us up when you return to the States.

    - Will E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks! I might hit you up on that. Do you GM?

      Delete
  3. Can you still play D&D online from Italy? The time difference makes it a challenge but if you can I'm sure we can figure out a weekend time to play with Rowan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I totally can, it would probably just be a bit hard on the weekends because we're often traveling. Sometime during the week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet a weekend time can be figured out. This Sunday (our evening, Rowan's afternoon) might work, or the following Friday, same time frame.

      Delete